Common Sense Media-Internet Safety Resource
Common Sense Media is dedicated to improving the lives of kids
and families by providing the trustworthy information, education,
and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and
We exist because our nation's children spend more time with
media and digital activities than they do with their families or in
school, which profoundly impacts their social, emotional, and
physical development . As a non-partisan, not-for-profit
organization, we provide trustworthy information and tools, as well
as an independent forum, so that families can have a choice and a
voice about the media they consume.
Our 10 Beliefs
- We believe in media sanity, not censorship.
- We believe that media has truly become "the other parent" in
our kids' lives, powerfully affecting their mental, physical, and
- We believe in teaching our kids to be savvy, respectful and
responsible media interpreters, creators, and communicators.
We can't cover their eyes but we can teach them to see.
- We believe parents should have a choice and a voice about the
media our kids consume and create. Every family is different but
all need information.
- We believe that the price for free and open media is a bit of
extra homework for families. Parents need to know about the media
their kids use and need to teach responsible, ethical behavior as
well as manage overall media use.
- We believe that through informed decision making, we can
improve the media landscape one decision at a time.
- We believe appropriate regulations about right time, right
place, and right manner exist. They need to be upheld by our
elected and appointed leaders.
- We believe in age-appropriate media and that the media industry
needs to act responsibly as it creates and markets content for each
- We believe ratings systems should be independent and
transparent for all media.
- We believe in diversity of programming and media